Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A quaint old house in Xghajra



For years I've been passing in front of this house that looks like a small castle and always marvelled at its strange facade. It was built around 200 years ago and until fairly recently, there were three families living in it. Apparently, these were devotees of the Madonna of Lourdes so they built their house in her honour.


As you can see, they structured the balcony wall to look like a cave with the statue of Our Lady of Lourdes in a corner and Bernardette kneeling in front of her. If I had a better camera maybe I would have been able to get a close up of the inscription at the right of the balcony but for now I'll have to make do with what I have. I also noticed that a large fissure is threatening the left turret and if immediate care is not taken I guess the owners will have quite a problem rebuilding the turret again.


3 comments:

Doreen said...

Hmm, very interesting I love reading about old houses and their history...I have never seen anything like this one with the roof part having turrets and looking strangely like a castle...if you have more info on its history I'd love to read more. Thanks for sharing this with us Zen!

Sue said...

What a strange balcony... I had never seen anything like it before. Devotion can get to such extremes at times!
Anyway I think it's a charming old house just the same.
Sue.

Robin said...

That's a private home? Wow. As a child I had a longrunning fantasy about living in a turreted home. Never did come true though.

PS Re the door knockers, I too loved the ones I saw all over Malta and took a ridiculous number of photos of them :). Sadly, that was before I had a decent camera (and any idea what I was doing) and most didn't turn out. I was SO disappointed.