Friday, May 8, 2009

Lemon Drizzle Cake

Last Wednesday I had only one and a half hour to spare before going out and as I looked at my bowl full of lemons one thought came to mind...a lemon cake..!! The result was a tangy and gorgeous cake.

Ingredients

50g unsalted butter,
50ml oil
Finely grated zest 2 lemons
150g caster sugar
2 large eggs
50g ground almonds
150g plain flour
2 tbsp cornflour
2½ tsp baking powder
90ml lemon juice
75g icing sugar

Method

Line a small, 17cm-long loaf tin, or similar, with nonstick baking paper, and preheat the oven to 180C (fan-assisted 160C)/350F/gas mark 4. Melt the butter, then pour into a mixing bowl along with the oil. Add the lemon zest, sugar and eggs, whisk for a minute until smooth and slightly bubbly, then stir in the almonds.
In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cornflour and baking powder, then sift half of this into the butter/egg bowl. Beat in 75ml of the lemon juice, then sift in the remaining flour mixture and beat until smooth.

Spoon the cake mixture into the loaf tin, and bake for 45-50 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean. Remove and leave to cool for five minutes. Beat the remaining 15ml of lemon juice with the icing sugar, and spread this mix over the top of the cake while it's still in the tin. The icing is spooned on while the cake is hot, and this helps it turn into that beautiful, crisp lemon glaze as it cools. Leave until barely warm before serving.

3 comments:

Doreen said...

How lovely! That looks so delicious : ) I have just received a bag full of lemons, now I know what to do with it.
Thanks for sharing the recipe, enjoy your cake.

Suki said...

Hello Dor. After work I headed for the kitchen to have a piece of lemon cake but all I found was the tray full of cake crumbs..my hubby did it again!

Doreen said...

HeeHee then it must really have been delish!
Well if you have enough lemons maybe you could bake another one...I still haven't had time to make mine as I would have sent some your way : )