Monday, November 22, 2010

Crazy Chocolate Cake


I'm writing this post in honour of my dear and loyal friend Vanessa. Although we've known each other since our kindergarten years I cannot say that we were the best of friends in our primary school years. Actually we were arch enemies! I think what really made me dislike her was because she spoke loudly all the time and to this day I dislike persons who need to voice their opinions loudly. There's nothing better than having a smooth talking person. On the other hand she disliked me because I had said something offensive about the boy she used to fancy. These complaints sound so silly now but that was our childhood. In the secondary years we somehow found out that we got on very well together. By that time Vanessa had mastered the art of speaking quitely and I could enjoy her company without any headaches. Today I'm posting a very old recipe - a recipe which Vanessa shared with me in our secondary years. We used to go crazy on this cake. I used to eat it all by myself. If I'm not mistaken I think it was my first try at baking.
This recipe of hers contains some unusual ingredients but it somehow makes a lovely cake.
Last Sunday I felt like trying it out again after having forgotten it for all these years and I've realised I still enjoy eating it. Here it is - don't expect a spongey chocolate cake. If you like chewy cakes - the maltese pudding style then, this is your cake. It has no eggs and no butter. It is also very easy to prepare.

Recipe

3 cups flour
1 and 1/2 cup sugar
half a cup cocoa
a pinch of salt
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda


Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.

1 and 1/2 cup water
2 tsp vinegar
3/4 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla


Then add the above ingredients to the dry ones until you've got a smooth brown paste. Bake in a moderate oven for about 45 minutes. So easy!!!

10 comments:

Angela said...

This cake sounds so yummy!! I think I might try this this weekend :o)

Ms. Vanessa said...

It is worth trying ... =) I am no culinary expert. If anything the opposite but I could cook this by the age of 12... meaning it is very easy =)

Rosanne Dingli said...

This has reminded me of pudina tal-hobz although it's nothing like it.
What do you think will happen if I add sultanas?

Ms. Vanessa said...

=) =) u made me cry istra!!

There r so many funny ways life works with. I still remember how I used to feel in prim.school. Cant believe that u became one of the VERY few good friends I have.

Now in contrast I can see us chatting as old ladies =) abt old sorts of gossip.

PS: As reg sultana (dear Rosanne), I think they're too heavy for the mixture. They'll settle at the bottom and get burnt =( sorry there!!

Loree said...

Mmm. Chocolate cakes are my absolute favourite dessert.

Sue said...

Now this is a different kind of cake... a must try for sure.
Thanks for the recipe.
Sue.

Angela said...

Can I ask, what is bicarbonate of soda? I've tried to find baking soda in the shops here for other recipes that I have but no luck so I was told you can basically double the amount and use baking powder instead. Not sure if this is the same thing?

Angela said...

I'm not sure what happened but I made this yesterday afternoon and it didn't turn out at all :o( Might have been because I just doubled the amount and used baking powder rather than the bicarbonate soda that you mentioned? which I thought you can do but clearly not for everything.
I will have to try again as I'm so looking forward to chocolate cake!

Suki said...

Hi Angie, am really sorry to hear your cake didn't turn out well. I did some research about your query and found out that baking soda is the same as bicarbonate of soda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_bicarbonate

As for bicarbonate of soda - I usually find mine from the herbs counter under the brand name 'Country'. These are little cylindrical plastic containers containing a variety of spices, herbs and baking stuff.

As far your other query I found this link for you

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/foodchemistry/f/blbaking.htm

Good luck with your baking!

Joey said...

I've got to try this! So... it's baking soda.

I'll you know! Thanks, Zen!

Joey